Broadly defined, aliens represent non-human paradigm entities. Aliens are classified by behaviors and relative expected reaction. This is summarized by the acronym H.A.I.K.U. representing-Humanoid, Animal, Insect, Known, Unknown
- Humanoid: They look similar to humans with minor differences in skin color, antenna, forehead ridges, pointed ears and such, but in general react and act like humans.
- Animals: They react like animals on earth, concerned with the basics of life: lizards, horses and bears.
- Insect: They are hive based with specialized breeding/build patterns to create specific job based offspring: bees, ants, xenomorphs, robots and androids.
- Known: They are kind of a catch all for a behavior pattern that is somewhat known but different and thus far unclassified: like a giant space Amoeba. You know it’s an amoeba, but it's flying in space somehow so who knows what it will do.
- Unknown: They would be like Ancient Aliens, terrors form the void, and things man was not meant to know. We have no idea how they function, how they will react nor why. It’s a complete mystery.
These sizes are all in relation to human or humanoid perceptions. They are categorized broadly in order to give you the most leeway in defining your own aliens. Sizes are defined by the acronym T.S.A.R.Z.
- Tiny 1 foot or smaller
- Small 2 to 4 feet
- Average 5 to 7 feet
- Really big 8 feet or larger
- ZOMG! Something so gigantic or strange it boggles the mind
Non-Player Aliens (NPA’s)
Non-playable aliens are those types which act as a potential challenge or challenger to the characters in Rogue Space They will be defined by categories: Type, Size, Movement, Physical, Mental, Armor, Damage, Hit Points and Special.
P (P): this represents the dice roll modifier for all physical based target rolls the creature makes.
T (T): this represents the dice roll modifier for all mental/technical based target rolls the creature make
Type (Tp): Represent which part of H.A.I.K.U. the alien falls under
Size (Sz): Represents how big it is in relation to human point of view
Movement (Mv) How it moves, and how far in a 5 second turn.
Armor (Ar): Refers to its protection from damage
Damage (Dm): Refers to how it attacks what type of damage it will do.
Hit Points (Hp): This is an average of damage the species can sustain
Special (Sp): A catch all for anything unique like laser eyes, fire breath, or Psionics. A “+” denotes something special.
Notes on Alien Categories
Movement will tell you if it walks rolls, slithers, flies, hops, swims, drifts, or some other form of locomotion. The number in parenthesis after the type shows an average distance traveled in a 5 second combat turn.
P:+2 T:+1 Tp I Sz A Mv Biped (40’) Ar: M Dm: M (claws or bite) Hp: 8 Sp:+
The Xenomorph is an insidious hive-like parasitic race and a deadly predator. While it has no technology base of its own it has spread as various governments, agencies, or smugglers pick up its eggs to trade in military schemes and black market deals. In combat it uses claws or a double set of teeth to attack. Unlike many insects it can be either warrior or worker depending on the hive's need. If near a nest it will not kill an opponent. It will try to knock them out and use it as a host for breeding a new xeno. SPECIAL: The xeno has acid for blood. If hit with a non blunt weapon it does L damage from blood spray to anyone within 5 feet.