Hello fellow Rogues! This is a deadline announcement for submitting materials for Rogue Transmissions #2! I'd like to put this out in later September so Please have all submissions to me by 8/31/2012! Open office document or MS Word works fine.
Please Email submissions to email@example.com
Make sure to include your name (pen name or real) as well as your blog site address so I can point people to more of your great work!
As promised, I have now posted in pocket mod format the optional ship combat rules for free. These will be included in the Dark Edition rule book as an option and for those owning the original rule book, you now have them for free!
In essence these rules have ship combat damage become a bit more cinematic in application. Also the exact damage effects in game play allow a creative referee to add more description and effects.
They are strictly optional and as with any RPG rules: add, expand or discard as you like. They are an amalgam of rules based on Mike Berkey's Where No Man has Gone Before 2.0 and my own Far Trek RPG rules set. As with all things Rogue Space, they are simple to use and can be expanded on to suit your own desires.
Speaking of the Dark Edition rules, art continues to be created, and cover B was chosen! Thanks to all who voted.
M. Jared Swenson has produced a new set of 3 pocket mod books converting the core elements of the Star*Drive setting into Rogue Space pocket mod booklets! I can't begin to tell you how outstanding an idea I think this is! If you wanted a setting for Rogue Space, this is a fantastic place to start and better yet, he plans on weekly Star Drive Saturday's to keep building on to the setting. Visit, download, and start following MJ's Fairly Unkempt blog now!
The players each receive a message or offer from a friend informing them of some easy money to be made by a skittish corporation. They are to arrive at The Sasaku hotel promptly ay 8pm and request entry to the Koi room.
The players are offered contract employ by the Nakamura Corporation to investigate alien ruins near a recently landed planetary probe. The NC would like players to do the scouting, mapping, and recon prior to the company investing any further assets. There is no loss of face or company pride if mercenaries do the initial work compared to failure by company people. A map showing the probe landing and ruins is provided. Transport will be arranged if the players do not have a ship. They have 96 hours to determine if the locations is safe or if anything of interest or danger may still be at the site.
Roll 1d6 or pick
1) The players discover an abandoned NC scout ship on site and their own transport is gone. Why did the NC rep lie? The players discover the previous explorers are no longer human...
2) The ruins appear abandoned but it is an illusion of a superior race studying humanity--the players are considered lab rats.
3) The ruins are ruins for humanoids, but the alien A.I. which resides underground has manufactured insect like robots which it is seeding the galaxy with in attempts to spread its influence and knowledge.
4) The site is a former outpost for a hostile alien race which succumbed to a plague...but many of its soldiers are in cryosleep underground. Now that the plague has died out, if awoken a new threat will spawn in the galaxy.
5) The former builders have become psionic beings and will attempt to take over the players using them as vehicles to drive their race off planet and back amongst the stars.
6) The NC representative is actually a cultist and seeks to use the characters as a sacrifice in the old ruins of the alien temple. Once the blood price is paid, a new consecrated temple can be built and the old gods can be awakened once more.
Rogue Transmissions 1 will feature the work from Hereticwerks and Porky's Expanse along with a wee bit from me your humble guide to The Dark Frontier. I am finding the more I push out Rogue Transmissions waiting for the time to make it what I want, the less time I have to do so.
Frankly the stuff is too good to continue to delay, so Rogue Transmission 1 will come out this weekend as a free downloadable PDF. Will it be pretty and perfect? NO! Will it be full functional and filled with other folks genius to inspire you and add to your fun with Rogue Space? Abso-fraking-lutely!
Also another pair of Dark Frontier pioneers, M. Jared Swenson and his artistic brother Jarom Swenson will be releasing the completed MECH rules for Rogue Space today! I have watched the development and much like Porky's vehicle rules, the Mech rules adhere to the primary design principle of Rogue Space: make it simple! I am really looking forward to the rules and hope MJ wants to contribute them to Rogue Transmissions 2!
Rogue Space Black edition update
Also my wife is hard at work at more illustrations for the RS Black edition booklet. Thanks for voting on covers! My wife refuses to look at the poll results until the end and that's fine because I need her focused on more cool illustrations for the black edition booklet!