Monday, July 8, 2013

Behind the scenes...

In addition to my lovely wife's illustrations, I have commissioned some illustrations from Luigi "Artkid" Castellani!

Luigi's illustrations are fantastic and I have been lucky enough to commission many for Heroes & Other Worlds (my fantasy RPG.)  Fortunately Luigi was also able to do some illustrative work for the upcoming new edition of Rogue Space and I am really excited!

Now let's talk creatures.  As I said in an earlier post, this section/area was the one that felt out of step with the rest of Rogue Space.  While everything else was pretty clean and simple, this one was clunky. So taking a page from the past I maintained the TSARZ nomenclature for size and just tied a basic die roll modifier tied to creature size. 

So a Tiny creature is -4, Small -2, Average-0, Really Big+2, ZOMG! +4.

This is just a baseline guideline assuming the creature in question is a basic attacker or combat fodder. I suggest a range of plus or minus 1 from each size modifier.  So Average space pirates may be +1, while Tiny vicious biters may be a -3. Simple, clean and easy to adjudicate or whip up on the fly.

For a specialized NPC's or Creatures, one with important meaning to an adventure, you stat it out per normal FASER attributes.  In addition I am working up some "creature features" to help spur ideas on making alien creatures unique beyond just die roll modifier and description. In play its met more of my original Rogue Space ideal (quick, simple, flexible) and aids a free flowing experience for the referee, which of course translates into more seamless play.

The work continues...

5 comments:

  1. I just received the Rogue space RPG (v2) book today from Lulu. A good read.
    Just a few questions:
    P18: Heavy (V or H?). P.21 & 23 list Heavy damage as H, but P.24 list Heavy armour as V.
    P.21 & 23: ammunition. 10cr for 20 shotgun shells, or a 20 round magazine for slug/ballistic weapons.
    The 20 unit energy clip (20cr) is for the energy melee weapons?
    So I'm guessing that ammunition is accounted for?
    If so, what price for grenades, energy magazine/drum, razor disks, chemical pod/drum, rocket, needles, and net - Tangle gun?
    I could obviously make up my own prices, but usually better to obtain it from the official source (plus I'm a little busy with my own system on this blogspot.co.uk system).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Stephen, well these sorts of questions are part of why a revised edition is in the works.

    All "Heavy" damage or armor is (should be) denoted by a "V"

    Grenades are 30cr each
    Tangle gun load 10cr each
    missiles are 30cr each
    Chemical pod 30cr
    Needler ammo 10cr

    ReplyDelete
  3. Revised edition: yes please.
    Thanks for the above info.
    Razor disks: 30cr a 20 round mag?
    If chemical pod is 30cr (10 shots?), then chemical drum 40cr (15 shots)?
    Energy magazine (20 rounds): 20cr? Drum (20 rounds): 30cr?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Razor 20cr 10 round mag
      Chem 30cr 10 shots
      Drum 50/ 20 shots
      Energy 20cr/20sht
      Drum magazine 40cr/40sht

      Delete
  4. Many thanks.
    I look forward to the revised addition.
    Will it be available as a PDF on Drivethrurpg/RPGnow?

    ReplyDelete