Saturday, July 9, 2011

UPDATE Rogue Space d20? and KBB?

No not quite, but Rogue Space polyhedral is a closer to standard RPG presentation.  It uses your standard RPG dice and more standard (expected) attributes. I learned two things when knocking out the polyhedral dice version of Rogue Space.  First, its pretty easy to have the system use multiple dice and a more "standard" attribute system.  Second, it will require going back and updating the other supplements IF this version is the one most wanted.  Not a hard task by any means, just time consuming.

So what's changed? Glad you asked:

Attributes are now Strength, Intelligence, Dexterity, Endurance and Empathy.
Added one new Psionic power
Change charts and instructions to reflect use of standard RPG dice set.

I have set up yet another poll that will run for the next two weeks.  This also handily coincides with the next couple weeks of business travel when I will have less time to follow my bliss as it were.

The Rogue Space Poly edition is available for download as is a new set of Poly edition character sheets.  Vote because the winning rules set could change everything...

Second I just completed this morning in a fury of inspiration a ship's catalog to add even more to the RS galaxy of products.  I loved the old Uncle Al's catalogs when I played Car Wars, and I tried to add a bit of that flavor into Kriva's Black Book.

You get a stat write up on the class of ship, a specific ship example, and a little flavor text around that specific ship.  The flavor text can give you adventure ideas, or NPC's to use in your Rogue Space setting or adventures.

  So while you are downloading the Polyhedral Pocket Rogue Space rules set, here is another source book to try!  The galaxy has no bounds and neither apparently does my Rogue Space inspiration.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, thanks for the feedback - now it's my turn! I prefer the previous 2d6 version (maybe it's just because I'm playing too many d20 games). I do like the new attributes and the new psionic power, though; keep those.

    Two suggestions: a fixed speed score (a "Technician" Olympic sprinter can't outrun a "Warrior" computer hacker, just because he has fewer hit points)?, and one psionic power per Empathy point (minimum zero), just to give characters more to play with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Andrew

    Thanks for the feedback, it is much appreciated. I prefer rolling the cubes of yore as well, but the kids these days just can't seem to get enough of those new fangled, multifaceted, number generators. It's a test, so we will wait and see.

    As to attributes, duly noted. They are kind of a black hole in that no matter how your try to get away from that standard, you end up getting sucked right back into them.

    I like damage to have an affect on a player...but without getting hung up in too many modifiers. If the Hulk gets hurt bad enough he will be out run by Lenny the cubicle repair technician. As a person is wounded they do slow down. Food for thought though and I appreciate it. May like HP each has a fixed starting number modified by Endurance.

    Ah yes, psionic powers. I will let you in on why the one and done approach (to me) is important and necessary: it fosters character team work and gives everyone a chance to play.

    If one character has 2 or 3 powers they can become a superman of sorts in Rogue Space. Then they have little need for working with others. With one power you have a neat trick, but its not a game breaker or worse a party wrecker.

    For the character who wants to have multiple powers I created Psychich Vampire. In effect, this gives you access to every power--provided someone uses it on you first....and you survive.

    You should house rule it however you like. Watch the movie PUSH for an idea of how I see psionics working. I think a separate psionic expansion may be fun to pursue at some point. So many ideas, so little time.

    ReplyDelete